number of executed instructions from simulator (was Re: two bugs in the arm simulator)

Hi,

> > so that I can get it to report the number of cycles spent in some
> > program.  This could be used for simple benchmarking (to detect
> > regression over time).
> >
> > I wonder if such an extension would be a big task?  I'm not familiar
> > with GDB's code at all.
>
> The GDB simulators aren't even a little bit cycle accurate,
> unfortunately.

Yes, I am aware of this.  However, just getting the number of executed
instructions would be sufficient for my purposes.  I could use this in
our company's performance regression tester to check relative
performance figures (e.g., is last week's version faster than today's
version, etc.).

Best regards,
Janne