libGDB and gdbserver questions

Hello,

I am trying to write a remote debugger for multiple processes. As far
as I know, most of the parallel debuggers (that use GDB as the
backend), use multiple instances of GDB, where each instance controls
one process.

The problem is: I want to be able to handle a lot of processes (1000
processes is the minimum), clearly having 1000 instances of GDB
controlling 1000 processes is not very scalable, and it will choke the
"master UI controller" (that controls GDBs).

I've been thinking about 2 solutions:

(1) gdbserver
Since one gdbserver requires one instance of GDB, my plan is to use
gdbserver as the low-level debugging engine and extend GDB to be able
to handle multiple connections from gdbserver (correct me if I'm being
too simplistic). Is there a support for it in GDB?

(2) libGDB
Actually, what's the state of libGDB (v. 2)? Not much docs that I can
find, only http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/papers/libgdb2/ and the
source code. Is it going to be more suitable to address the problem
mentioned above.

Any pointers/directions/opinions are appreciated...

I tried googling and looking at the mailing list, but the minimum
requirement to be able to handle 1000 procs makes the problem unusual.

Thank you,
Donny