Re: Dumping core on windows?

Brian Dessent wrote:
Ben Greear wrote:

After hours or days, my application crashes.  It's not overly convenient for me
to attach gdb to the process(es), but it can be done if that is the only way.

Since your app is not a Cygwin program you can't just set 'error_start'
in $CYGWIN.  But you can do the equivalent to set dumper as the windows
JIT debugger.  Set "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug\Debugger" to a REG_SZ of the filename and args
of dumper.  Use "%ld" to represent the PID.  e.g.
"c:\cygwin\bin\dumper.exe myapp %ld" will create myapp.core when the
program faults.  Set "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug\Auto" to a REG_SZ of "1" to have this happen
without the popup "This application has performed an illegal operation,
... [Debug]  [Close]".  However, if you do this then there will be no
indication of the fault -- other than the existance of the core file and
your app no longer running (and possibly an entry in the event log) --
so you might want to leave auto at 0 if you want to see when the fault
occurs.

That sounds like exactly what I want! I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks,
Ben

Brian

--