Re: Maintainer policy for GDB

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 23:40:40 +0200, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> said:

> I'm worried that people might not want to take the responsibility
> upon them if others, who don't share the responsibility, are allowed
> to commit changes nonetheless.

> In other words, if responsibility doesn't come with some unique
> authority, who will want such a responsibility?

One possible way to treat this question is as an empirical one.  To
that end, one could ask people currently listed in MAINTAINERS as
maintaining a given domain whether they would prefer to remain
responsible for maintaining, or merely authorized, and why.  For
example, would you be interested in being responsible for djgpp and/or
documentation under the proposed new rules?  If so, why?

(An answer to that question would only be the beginning of an answer
to whether the distinction is a good one, of course.)

David Carlton
david.carlton@sun.com