Re: Core dumps

Mark Kettenis wrote:
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 20:33:04 +1100
From: Russell Shaw <rjshaw@netspace.net.au>

Hi,
When i make my code core-dump using abort(), and read the
core with "target core core", the back-trace shows a corrupted
stack. How do i make a core dump that has an intact stack i can
trace thru? Should i use something other than abort()?

Sorry, but you don't provide nearly enough information to enable us to answer your question. At least we need to know what OS, what hardware platform, what version of GDB and what version of GCC you're using. It'd help us even more if you could provide a typescript of a GDB session that show us your problem.

I'm using debian-sid.

GNU gdb 6.3-debian
gcc (GCC) 4.0.3 20051201 (prerelease) (Debian 4.0.2-5)

In gdb, i did:

(gdb) target core core
(gdb) bt

I get a long backtrace of "?" and a note saying corrupt stack.

I can't get a new core file to happen now, despite the
program hitting abort() or raise(11). I have ulimit unlimited.