Re: [RFC] multiple breakpoints from FILE:LINE

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 02:15:11PM +0000, Andrew STUBBS wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >How about something like
> >
> >    break something.adb:12 if SOME_CONDITION
> >
> >where SOME_CONDITION is something we should invent to specify the
> >instance where we want to put the single breakpoint?  This has the
> >advantage of using an existing syntax, especially if the condition
> >could be made to use some convenience variable.  By contrast, what you
> >suggest modifies the syntax of a location specification; do we really
> >want that?
>
> Not that it makes any real difference but ...
>
> To me that looks like it will set a break point everywhere and then
> check at runtime if it is the right one.
>
> Now I know you weren't thinking of doing that, but that's what the
> condition normally means.
>
> It may also make setting a real condition more tricky.

Yes, I agree.

I think we do want to modify the syntax of a location expression,
which is currently somewhat complicated and weakly defined.  However,
I've suggested that we do that as a second step - to specify one single
breakpoint, instead of the multiple ones we'd set by default.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery