Re: Multithreaded debugging: strange thread switches

> From: Vladimir Prus <ghost@cs.msu.su>
> Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 17:41:44 +0300
>
> > > Hmmm, maybe that's a sign that Changelog requirements are suboptimal?
> > > Most often, Changelog entries contain lots of details about
> > > changes to specific functions, but no general overview of the goal of the
> > > patch.
> >
> > No, the mailing list archives are where this sort of thing is supposed
> > to live
>
> But if I'm looking at Changelog entry, how can I guess the subject of email
> that discusses this change?

You can't.  The way to look is to search for relevant keywords and for
symbols from the sources in question.

> > - and the comments in the code.
>
> But if change is across 10 files, a comment in one of them is not likely to
> give the entire pictire.

The entire picture should be either in one of the source files, the
one that has the bulk of the related code, or in gdbint.texinfo.

I know that in practice much of such info is just nowhere, but
ChangeLog is no place for it, either.  The way to make sure the big
picture is not lost is to make a point of explaining it in one of the
two places I mentioned when you submit a patch.  I always ask people
to add information to gdbint.texinfo, but of course much is still left
unexplained.