Re: MI -break-info command issues

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> The extra information doesn't pertain to breakpoint itself, it's gdb
>> opinion on formatting and is hardly usefull for machine interface. IMO,
>> of course.
>
> This output is produced by the UI-independent output functions.  So
> judging its usefulness from the point of view of a GUI is taking a too
> narrow view.  The advantage of ui_out routines is that ....

I'm actually talking about MI *protocol*. I think that usefulness of that
should be judged from the point of view of its intended clients -- that are
frontends, which nowdays means GUI. If MI is protocol specifically designed
for some task, then it should not include some fields just because TUI
needs those fields.

> whoever writes
> the code defines the layout once, and then each UI gleans whatever it
> needs from the results.  The programmer who wrote the code does not
> need to bother which UI needs what information.  Yes, that means some
> of the info will be redundant or useless for certain types of UI, but
> that's by design, and I think the advantages of a single interface far
> outweigh the small annoyances of having to read and discard unused
> parts of the output.

Why can't MI layer weed out unnecessary information?

- Volodya