Readline import?

How do folks feel about a new readline import, while we're on the subject?

I just spent several hours tracking down a bug in GDB which appears to be
fixed in newer versions of readline.  It's easy to reproduce; put this in
$HOME/.inputrc:

Control-y: "1234"

Then start a new gdb, and hit Control-y.  Nothing happens.  Hit another key.
1234 appears at your prompt, followed by the key you hit.

This is somewhat annoying normally, but really really annoying on Windows,
where Mark used readline keyboard macros to translate the Windows arrow
sequences into POSIX ones; it means that the cursor and history display is
often one key behind when using the arrows.  It's been driving me bonkers
all day.

I discovered, entirely by accident, that the Debian GDB packages don't show
this behavior.  That's because they link to the system readline 5.1 package,
rather than the src/ copy of readline 4.x; so I presume that's where the fix
is.

Alternatively I can just import the change from readline 5.1 to bind
the arrow keys to history bindings instead of to macros; that's orthogonal
but will avoid the problem.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery