Re: MI: type prefixes for values

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 03:49:33PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I don't see how is this contrary to what GDB assumes.  GDB passes the
> information to the front end; how the front end displays it, is
> entirely up to the front end.

The interesting thing to learn from this conversation, IMO, is that a
frontend is likely to show the type separately from the value.  So
maybe we should provide value= and type= if we want to provide both.

The GDB CLI chooses to show types for some kinds of variables, and not
for others.  That's its perogative, but exposing that CLI decision over
MI seems like a bad idea.

There's plenty of other things like this.  For instance, IIRC, the MI
value output will include the <repeats 16 times> annotations used by
the CLI in some cases.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery