GDB CLI speed

I am using gdb/ddd as the front end to run a large simulation and use
the caned command files to confiure the simulation and typically I have
a lot of "set" statements in the command file (thousands).

One thing it bothers me is that it takes much longer for GDB CLI to
execute these commands than DBX. Anyone of you outthere know what is the
reason (especially in comparison against dbx) and a way to fix it ?

Ken Li