Re: printing wchar_t*

On Friday 14 April 2006 12:30, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > Relatively safe bet would be to assume it's some zero-terminated
> > character set. I plan to assume it's either UTF-16 or UTF-32 in the GUI
> > (the conversion code is the same for both encodings), but gdb can just
> > print raw values.
>
> We should get our terminology right: UTF-16 is not a character set,
> it's an encoding (and a multibyte encoding, btw).  As for UTF-32, I
> don't think such a beast exists at all.
>
> I think you meant 16-bit Unicode characters (a.k.a. the BMP) and
> 32-bit Unicode characters, respectively.

No, I meant UTF-16 encoding (the one with surrogate pairs), and UTF-32
encoding (which does exists, in the Unicode standard).

> > > It's one possibility, the other one being to call a function in the
> > > debuggee to produce the string.
> >
> > And what such a function will return? char* in local 8-bit encoding? In
> > that case, no all wchar_t* variable can be printed.
>
> If you want to display non-ASCII strings, it means you already have
> some way of displaying such characters.  The function I mentioned
> would not return anything, it would actually _display_ the string.
>
> For example, in command-line version of GDB, if the terminal supports
> UTF-8 encoded characters, that function would output a UTF-8 encoding
> of the non-ASCII string, and then the terminal will display them with
> the correct glyphs.

This is non-starter. I can't have debuggee send data to KDevelop widgets.

> > > Yet another possibility is to do the
> > > conversion in your GUI front end.
> >
> > That's what I'm going to do, but first I need to get raw data,
> > preferrably without issing an MI command for every single character.
>
> A wchar_t string is just an array, and GDB already has a feature to
> produce N elements of an array.  In CLI, you say "print *array@20" to
> print the first 20 elements of the named array.

I don't know how many elements there are, as wchar_t* is zero terminated, so
I'd like gdb to compute the length automatically.

- Volodya