Re: MI: performance of getting stack arguments

On Apr 18, 2006, at 9:16 AM, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

Probably only some of these are visible; you could just do the visible
ones? Or, eventually, you could do what Xcode does and get stack IDs
from GDB, and assume that arguments haven't changed on step in. I find
that a bit shady though, given how likely it is that their "apparent"
values will change.

The way we do it, we only show the function names in the stack display, and the arguments & locals of the bottom-most frame in a detail view. If the user wants to see the args/locals for another frame, she can click on it, and we fetch the values afresh. So we always present the correct values. Nothing shady about this at all.

It would be more complex if you were presenting the arguments at all times, but I think that would end up being visually very noisy. Anyway, we've never had anybody request this.

Jim