Re: RFC: MI output during program execution

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 08:58:04AM +1200, Nick Roberts wrote:
> 1) Create a branchpoint of current HEAD for gdb+dejagnu:
>
>    cvs rtag nickrob-200604026-branchpoint gdb+dejagnu

Right.  You can just use the gdb module nowadays; the only difference
is that gdb+dejagnu will include tcl by accident.  Expect and DejaGNU
aren't in the tree any more.  Could I persuade you to update the
manual?

> 2) Create a branch from that branchpoint:
>
>    cvs rtag -b  -r nickrob-200604026-branchpoint nickrob-200604026-branch \
>                                                  gdb+dejagnu

Right.

> 3) Update my working directory to that branch:
>
>    cvs update -r nickrob-200604026-branch

Right.

> 4) Add files called ChangeLog-async, README-async, TODO-async.

Right.  I recommend putting these under the gdb subdirectory; otherwise
there's some trouble getting CVS to check them out by default because
of how we use modules.

> 5) Modify version.in appropriately.

Sure, if you want to clearly identify the branch - always a good idea.

> 5) Commit my/Apple's changes.

Right.

> 6) Post those changes to gdb-patches.

Right.

> 7) Do regular merges with trunk:
>
>    cvs update -j HEAD  (?)

Well, it's more complicated than this.  You need tags at mergepoints -
see the last bit of the chapter which mentions cvs up -j. It's a bit of
a pain.

> When I've got this far I'll also explain what the code does and what I would
> like it to do in the future (from README-async) on the gdb mailing list.

Great!

Your steps look fine; feel free.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz