remote debugging with gdb

Hello to all,

I have a little "big" problem with remote debugging with gdb. I have the following situation: I'm implementing an own operating system with the help of c++ and assembler (practice at the University). We're building the whole system starting with an output on the Screen.
If we compile the complete system we use make. We've got a Makefile and Linker-Skripts. After using "make bootdisk.img" we get a file, named bootdisk.img (this one has to be a floppy Image which we could use with bochs to emulate our self-written OS). But there are some other files too, "system" and "system.img". The First one (system) could be the one to debug with gdb. The other one's purpose is completely unknown.

Okay ... now to bochs. I've recompiled bochs with "$ ./configure --enable-gdb-stub". I've rearranged the position of bss_base, data_base and text_base at the linker skript. Now I added the line
"gdbstub: enabled=1, port=1234, text_base=0x10000, data_base=0x20000, bss_base=0x30000" at the bochsrc.txt (the currently used Config file of bochs).

now I could start bochs and it stops with the line "waiting for gdb to connect". So I startet gdb with the file "system". Everything works fine. Now I have to connect gdb with bochs. That's why I'm typing "target remote localhost:1234" at the gdb command line.

Now I get the following error message:

(gdb) target remote localhost:1234

Remote debugging using localhost:1234
0x0000fff0 in ?? ()
Reply contains invalid hex digit 78

Does anybody know, why I get this reply? Bochs is still waiting for connection on localhost:1234. The complete Programm works fine without the debugger. (when I disable the debugger, bochs works fine and seems to work corrently.

mfg maddin