Re: invoking GDB from FE and signals

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 08:58:31PM -0400, Bob Rossi wrote:
> Unless I'm wrong, and I often am!, I think the 'set tty' option that GDB
> provides has a major limitation. If the FE uses it, it can't determine
> which pty to send the SIGINT to when it recieves one. With this in mind,
> I suggest a new solution that could go in several directions.
>
> The inferior and GDB should be run on the same pseudo terminal for the
> reasons above. So moving the inferior to it's own terminal doesn't help
> much. I suggest adding a new feature to GDB, something like
> 'set gdb_io_tty /dev/pts/1' which would tell GDB what tty to output it's
> I/O. However, GDB wouldn't change it's pty. This way, signals will be
> delivered as if GDB was on the same terminal. Daniel, correct me if I'm
> wrong, but this solution would work with the changes we made to the test
> suite also.

I think you're getting too caught up in the details of your current
problem, and you've forgotten what you originally wanted to do.

You want to be able to interrupt the inferior, if it is running, and
GDB, if it is not.  So why not make GDB handle that?  It's GDB's job to
keep track anyway.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery