use LMA instead of VMA?

Hi,

i'd like to test my startup code in crt0.S but have some
problems with that as gdb uses the sections VMA instead
of the LMA.

For this i can't test my code in the simulator, as .data
and so on are always overwritten with incorrect data.

At the moment i use the preprocessor and -DREAL_TARGET=0 or =1
to generate an ELF file for the target or for the simulator.

Is there a better way to work around gdbs behaviour here?

Would it work to use objcopy --change-section-vma .data= \
load_address(.data) to set a sections vma?

Or would that crash something else then?

What else would be the preferred way to test a startup code?

Best regards,
Torsten.