Re: bfinish writes to random addresses.

On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 04:39:15PM +0100, Greg Law wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> When doing a 'finish' command when EBP contains bad values such that gdb
> gets confused about a function's return address, it writes a breakpoint
> into an essentially random point in the inferior's address space.
>
> Should I report a bug, or do we consider it the user's own stupid fault
> if he/she tries to do a 'finish' command when the frame-pointer is invalid?

Well, is there anything better that could be done about it?  I don't
think so.  Finish is going to take you back to whatever GDB thinks the
previous frame is.

Now, of course, GDB shouldn't get confused in the first place.  That's
always worth filing a bug about, although it may be a case of
inadequate debug information or other similar problems out of our
control.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery