Re: Merge of nickrob-async-20060513 to mainline?

 > > It's their choice to make GDB multi-threaded.  I'm just saying it's an
 > > example of where it seems to work in practice.
 >
 > Nick, what you're up against is that this is an old discussion.
 > We've tossed around the idea of making gdb a multi-threaded app
 > for years, and for various reasons, we've decided against it.

If it's an old discussion, it was presumably before NPTL, when LinuxThreads
was used.

 > Therefore there is some inertia involved here, and you're not
 > gonna sell the idea casually.

I'm not trying to sell the idea of threads (I wouldn't know how to) but
the idea of an asynchronous event loop (which might involve the use of
a single extra thread).

 > I suspect that some of us are reluctant to jump into the
 > discussion anew, with someone who doesn't have all of the
 > history and context.

Sure, I think the focus of my original message has somehow shifted anyway.