Re: gdbserver/gdb-6/4 and lots of pthreads

Thanks for the reply and good news! I'll work on getting that code and building it.

-----Original Message-----
From: drow@false.org
To: jbbachky@aim.com
Cc: gdb@sources.redhat.com
Sent: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 11:49 AM
Subject: Re: gdbserver/gdb-6/4 and lots of pthreads

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 11:11:45AM -0500, jbbachky@aim.com wrote:
Gdbserver attaches to my main thread and opens a socket, and then
after
invoking gdb and specifying my remote target, I select the
particular
thread that I wish to debug. Info threads shows all of my threads,
and
I see that gdbserver now attaches to all of them.

Normally this is a feature :-)

Any attempt to single-step or continue with a breakpoint results in
"thrashing system". A counter in my context switching code shows
almost
150k switchs/second, up from about 1200/sec when not attached with
gdb.
One of the 40 pthreads handle a 10ms SIGALRM. Almost all of the
others
are waiting for messages.

It'll be the 10ms SIGALRM. Fortunately, I have _just_ the thing for you. If you can wait another day or two, I expect to commit a patch which dramatically improves gdbserver performance for multithreaded applications with signals ignored by GDB. You can find the patch on the gdb-patches list archives if you want to try it in the mean time; it should apply to a checkout of current CVS HEAD. You need a patched gdbserver and gdb client.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery