Re: editing source files in gdb

On 12/16/06, Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz> wrote:
 > The problem is that when i give 'edit' from inside gdb to edit the
 > current source file, gdb is opening a new file in the editor under a
 > different name. The funny thing is that the new file has the name of
 > the absolute path of the file with a slash between directory and file
 > missing. For eg: if file 'test.cpp' is in directory '/home/kiran' then
 > gdb is opening the file as /home/kirantest.cpp. Could any one help me
 > in this ?

You don't say what version of GDB this is.  I see what you do for 6.3 but
not GDB in CVS (6.6.50.20061210-cvs).  Perhaps updating to a newer GDB will
solve your problem.

 > This feature (coupled with make from inside gdb) would be useful to me
 > as dont have to exit from gdb for editing the source file if i find a
 > mistake in my code.

As a side note, the mode that I'm writing for Emacs tries to achieve this too.

Thanks a lot. That helped an i can now edit the file from vi from inside gdb itself. But is there any thing is gdb that prevents 'vi' from loading my favourite "vimrc" (vi startup customization file).

I have one more doubt. I have defined a string like

typedef std::basic_string< unsigned short, unsigned_short_traits > utf16string;
utf16string myString; //dont worry about the traits

Is there any thing in gdb that will help me view the string as i view
a ordinary std::string.

As of now i use [x/100s myString.c_str()] or [p /c
*myString.c_str()@100] to examine the
data in the string. Could i use any thing better to view it like an
ordinary string ?