Re: Likely obsolete pieces of GDB

> hppa*-*-hiux*

Definitely obsolete.

> vax-*-*
>
> 	(But not NetBSD or OpenBSD)

Ultrix still might work but I doubt anybody other than myself still
has such a machine running.  There still some interest in linux.

> osf-share
>
>     Something from this directory is used to build hpux-thread.o.
>     The rest of it is unused.  hpux-thread.o is only enabled for
>     CMA threads, and PROBLEMS says (build/1411) that this hasn't
>     built at least since GDB 6.5.  HP/UX has deprecated CMA threads
>     as of 11i.
>
>     Is support for CMA threads still useful?  Note that I'm talking
>     just about hpux-thread.o, not about support for HP/UX 10.20.  The
>     PR is still open and still listed in PROBLEMS, but it looks like
>     Dave Anglin fixed it on 2004-11-22, so maybe it is.  Or maybe
>     support for that platform is useful but not support for OSF
>     threads.

I think CMA threads is still useful for HP-UX 10.  GCC 4.3 still builds
on this target with DCE/CMA thread support.  I will continue to support
HP-UX 10 in GCC at least for HP-UX 10.  This generation of HP machines
have proved very reliable and many are still running.

I have built 6.5 on HP-UX 10.20.  I will report back on the current
status of the cvs source.

> hpacc-abi.c
>
> 	Support for the HP aCC C++ compiler, on PA.  HP-UX for Itanium
> 	doesn't use this; GCC for hppa-hpux doesn't use it either.  See
> 	next item.
>
> hpread.c
>
> 	Support for symbolic debug info for the HP compilers on HP-UX.
> 	This is the equivalent of dwarf2read, not the equivalent of
> 	elfread; removing it won't interfere with non-symbolic
> 	debugging or with debugging SOM executables produced by the
> 	GNU tools.  I raised the question of removing this support on
> 	the GDB mailing list earlier in 2006 and there was general
> 	support.  The only people who spoke up saying they used HP's
> 	compilers on HP-UX said that they use HP's fork of GDB
> 	there anyway.
>
> hpux-thread.c

In my opinion, support for the debug info used by HP compilers can
be removed as it hasn't been supported for a number of years.  We
just need dwarf and stabs support for PA-RISC.  The downside is that
removing unused stuff and doing various cleanups has destabilized
this target over the past few years.

For those that want support for HP compilers, there's the wdb port
from HP.

> vax-nat.c
>
> 	Used for vax-bsd (not NetBSD or OpenBSD) and vax-ultrix.

Even if these targets might still build, I think they can be removed.

Dave
--
J. David Anglin                                  dave.anglin@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
National Research Council of Canada              (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6602)