Re: c++/2208: Checkpoints not saved on restart

Hi,
I submitted this bug report and am forwarding it to this list at the
request of Nick Roberts. This bug concerns checkpointing and is
probably more of a feature request than a bug (though I've submitted
several other real checkpointing bugs).

While I'm glad to have checkpointing support, its not as useful as it
may appear since you can only revert to a saved checkpoint once. After
restarting a saved checkpoint it is lost. I propose that a restart
checkpoint should first fork before execution thus allowing a user to
replay from a given checkpoint multiple times.

Checkpointing after any restart would be a temporary workaround except
for bug #2209, which states that checkpointing after restart causes a
deadlock.

Thanks,
Uri

On 1/3/07, Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz> wrote:
http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gdb&pr=2208

> 1. set 2 breakpoint and run to first
> 2. "checkpoint"
> 3. "continue"
> 4. "restart 1"
> 5. "continue"
> 6. "info checkpoints"

> Notice how checkpoint 1 has moved to the second breakpoint.

I think that's because 5. "continue" took it there.  Have you read the
description of checkpoints in the manual?  I think it's a good idea
to post to gdb@sources.redhat.com first, and only file as a bug once
there is agreement that it is one.