Re: GDB and scripting languages - which

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Anyway, two advantages of Lua are:

  . It was designed from ground up to be primarily an extension
    language, not a general-purpose language that just happens to have
    C bindings for its interpreter; therefore it is small and
    efficient (by a large factor compared to Tcl, for example).

  . It's typeless and generally lacks the clutter that more
    ``complete'' programming languages require: type declarations,
    memory allocations, initialization before use, etc.

To me, the fundamental requirement for a language to be used for writing gdb scripts (I refuse to use the bogus term scripting language :-)) is that it be widely used and widely familiar as well as being a decently designed language. To me Python meets these criteria, Lua does not. Mere technical arguments are not enough for a choice in a case like this.