Remote Debugging of a multithreaded application question

Question:

I am trying to debug a multithreaded application on a remote linux
machine from a cygwin environment.  I start the gdbserver on the remote
linux machine.  I then run gdb on cygwin and attach to the gdbserver.  I
then can set a break point anywhere in the source code.  But, if I set a
break point in a function that executes outside the main thread, gdb
will not stop at the break point when gdb runs the executable.  And an
error message shows on the gdbserver side.  Specifically, it says "Child
terminated with signal = 5".  The gdbserver then quits at this point.
Why can't gdb debug the other threads in the application?

My setup:   Remote machine is running open suse 10.2 linux.  Windows
machine is running cygwin.

Thanks,

Bobby