Re: Understanding GDB frames

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 09:10:29AM -0700, Marc Gauthier wrote:
>> As we discussed offline yesterday, this has performance implications
>> on the GUI, which would have to recreate the varobjs every time which
>> is time consuming.
>
> Is the performance implication the main reason?  If so, I'd rather we
> fix that instead.  I know Nick and/or Vladimir suggested "-var-list
> --locals" at one point in an earlier discussion of a related problem.
> That's probably quite a lot faster, especially if we can notify the
> front end when it enters a new frame.

What problem are we solving in this thread? The issue that prompted
"-var-list --locals" is that we don't reliably track local variables
as we go through lexical blocks, and we have no mechanism to create
varobj in a particular lexical scope.

It seems some other problem is being discussed, but I'm not sure which
one is that.

- Volodya