Re: Non-uniform address spaces

Jim Blandy wrote:
Michael Eager <eager@eagercon.com> writes:
Perhaps. I'll look at that. How does this work for TLS now?

You probably want to start at dwarf2expr.c, and look at our implementation of DW_OP_GNU_push_tls_address. That's invoking a callback of which dwarf2loc.c:dwarf_expr_tls_address is a reasonable representative. You can follow forward from there.

I'll take a look.

Backing up a bit, I should ask: is contributing this work to the
public sources one of your goals?  If it's not, I'm happy to answer
questions as best I can, but I shouldn't spend too much time on it.
If it is, then we (meaning the GDB developers, including you) need to
go at this in detail, starting with the meaning of the source
language, its ABI, its representation in the debugging info, the
facilities of the machine it's running on, and how the language
achieves its semantics on that machine.  This is not going to go well
if there's just a big patch at the end.  :)

Yes, contributing to public sources is a goal.

There are always factors which complicate this.
  -  Working in different versions of GDB, with the need to port
     modifications from one version to another.  There have been
     many changes in GDB which make code non-portable between
     different versions.
  -  An interest in making minimal changes to solve a problem
     rather than engage in a major redesign effort.

I'm helping the folks who are developing the UPC support for GDB.
The sources are available on-line.  I understand that they have an
interest in submitting patches to support UPC when the code is a
bit more stable.  There's support in DWARF for UPC features, but
the UPC language extensions have not yet been incorporated into
the current version of GCC.

--
Michael Eager	 eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077