debugging a linux kernel (vmlinux)

Hi all:
  I'm trying to step tracing the linux kernel (by vmlinux) with gdb
remote debugging. I'm curious with the memory mapping problem with
between the gdb and the remote target.
The vmlinux needs several steps to form the memory mapping for the
kernel execution. But I don't figure out how to archive those steps in
the gdb and how does the gdb know the target's MMU is opened and the
memory mode should be changed?

Any idea?

Thanks,

Dave.