Cannot initialize thread debugging library: generic error

Hi,
    I have compiled my toolchain with
binutils-2.17.50.0.14, GCC 3.4.6 and uClibc-0.9.28
using buildroot. I build the gdb with this toolchain.

The debugger starts up well and am able to do all the
basic debugging including handling the signals.
However am not able to debug threads. When i run the
test program in teh debugger it throws up following
warnings:

Cannot initialize thread debugging library: generic
error

 I searched the net for similar messages, i found
similar  warnings with gdb but in the context of using
insight. Still i tried setting the
solib-absolute-prefix to /. ,  it doesnt work.

Any help on this please ?

Regards
Srinivas Bakki