Re: Questions about gdb/mi support on the Mac

As Daniel said, we've pretty freely changed the MI interfaces to make them work with ProjectBuilder, then "Project Builder" then Xcode. When we started working on this 6 years ago, the MI interfaces were pretty rudimentary, so this was necessary. And there wasn't much interest in taking MI changes for the first couple of years we were working on it here, so we gradually drifted apart.

There have been several rounds of pulling from our sources to the FSF version by various kind folks on the net - though these often introduced other subtler differences. I haven't ever catalogued what we've changed, however, so I can't off the top of my head tell you what is different. Most of the changes we made to input syntax are documented either in our version of the manual, or in the function headers to the mi implementation functions. The output changes are less well documented. And in our sources we've tried to mark our local diffs with "APPLE LOCAL"; but with the MI stuff, where there are many whole sections of code that we've added, we are less careful about this.

There was a short-lived attempt to rationalize the MI interfaces. It seems to have gone quiet, however - I don't think anybody who's actually working on gdb had sufficient motivation to make it worth the time it would take to actually do this.

Jim