Fwd: Decompiler program

Hi,

I am a student in India. I am not very experienced with gdb's
internals but have used it before.
Broadly i am interested in writing a decompiler
(given a binary, create some readable HLL code), that let's you trace
through code.

I've used gdb to step through binaries without debug info, but as far
as i've known (or tried),
it has a limitation that it cant step out of a proc that it doesnt
have src (or debug info to).
So i cant step into libraries (am i correct?)

So all i want to know is a broad idea about the complexity involved in
writing a decompiler using
some of gcc's C libs, that can parse the ELF binary (i think i've seen
a lib for this parsing part in gcc)
and generate dis-assembly that can be traced freely. (Ofcourse the ELF
binary has to assumed to
contain no debug info).

Thanks a lot for sparing your time,
-Prasanna