Re: GDB cannot access memory after Emacs abort

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 14:22:37 -0500 Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org> wrote:

>> Making sure that I understand -- you ran emacs under gdb,
>> you set a breakpoint at abort, you hit the breakpoint --
>> and your desktop is locked up?
>>
>> That seems unusual -- do you have any idea of the cause?
>
> This is pretty common when debugging X programs, IIRC.  I believe
> there's some ways in which an application can "own" a display while
> something is in progress.

That's interesting; do you have any pointers to further information
about this?  Yet, as I mentioned in my other followups, this has never
happened to me before when running Emacs under gdb, even when it's in an
infinite loop.  It sounds like you, too, don't suspect a bug in GDB that
prevented getting a backtrace.

Steve Berman