BDI interfering with gdbserver on PPC target

Hello, we are using BDI2000 on a PPC405 (Xilinx)
target.  earlier we used BDI for kernel hacking but
now we are testing applications.  but we are still
downloading linux using BDI.

with linux thus downloaded and running on target, we
next launch gdbserver debug stub on target and
powerpc-linux-gdb on host.  everything works OK up
until a breakpoint fires:

target remote 192.168.1.20:9999
break main
continue

BDI reports
- TARGET:  core #0 has entered debug mode
bdi>info
Debug entry cause:  trap instruction

at which point gdbserver and gdb on host hang and the
session is stalled.

can it be that BDI is interfering with the trap
instruction?

we turned on debug remote 1
gdb attempts software breakpoint, then binary
download, finally memory edits.  host gdb and
gdbserver appear to interact OK.

Any ideas?

thanks we are stuck...

/steverino2