Re: how to search for a global type?

On 01/02/08 08:06:30, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 01, 2008 at 09:16:26PM -0800, Gary Funck wrote:
> > The typedef appears to be in inner block.  Does that make it static?
>
> Block 0 is the global symbols; block 1 is the file static symbols.
> Later blocks are the bodies of functions, et cetera.
>
> It makes sense for types to be static if you think about it from the
> right perspective, since types do not (generally) have linker
> visibility; the linker can't patch up your code to reference a type
> declared in another file.
>
> In short, try just lookup_symbol?

I did try lookup_symbol() as well, no go.

I'm currently using this approach:

static
int
lookup_type_by_name (const char *type_name)
{
  const struct symbol *sym;
  const struct type *type;
  int type_id;
  struct symbol_search *matches;
  /* FIXME: add ^$ anchors to front/back of type_name, so
     that the regex matches only the desired type name.  */
  search_symbols ((char *)type_name, TYPES_DOMAIN,
                   0 /* nfiles */, NULL /* files */, &matches);
  if (!matches)
    return 0;
  /* Arbitrarily use the first match.  */
  sym = matches->symbol;
  free_search_symbols (matches);
  type_id = get_type_id (SYMBOL_TYPE (sym));
  return type_id;
}

Search_symbols() finds the type definition that we're interested in.

I think one difficulty is that the current file doesn't
define the type.  It is defined in the runtime files.

I haven't tried following the logic, but could you briefly
explain the raltionship between block vectors and symbol
tables?

thanks,
  - Gary