RE: -var-update using formatted value

 > I downloaded emacs 22.1 a gave it a spin.  It's pretty cool, the new GUI for
 > GDB.  But I don't know how to set gdb-enable-debug to t or to look at
 > gdb-debug-log after.  My emacs is pretty darn rusty.  I also couldn't figure
 > out how to change the format to hex for a watch expression.
 >
 > I did have a look at gdb-ui.el and I saw pretty much every -var-command used
 > but I could not find any reference to -var-set-format...

Sorry I wasn't clear.  Changing format is currently only possible in Emacs from
the CVS repository at Savannah (savannah.gnu.org/projects/emacs).

It's changed by right clicking in the speedbar to get a pop up menu and
selecting the appropriate format from the "Output Format" sub-menu

I can send you a small patch to do that (which incidentally only updates
properly for 6.7, or later) but if we can get approval for Vladimir's patch (or
similar) I'll have to change what is in the repository, so it would be better
to wait till then.

 > > In fact, I'd be interested to know how well (badly?) GDB in Emacs performs
 > > in an embedded environment.
 >
 > I currently don't have a setup to properly test this, but it is something we
 > will be eventually looking into.  At that time, I can give emacs a try.

Cool.  I've thought about what you said on dsdp-dd-dev about -var-list-children
and I think Emacs could be changed to just create/update those watch
expressions which are visible.  If you have questions about the mode it's
probably best to post to emacs-devel.  For general Emacs questions, like how to
set gdb-enable-debug to t or to look at gdb-debug-log, feel free to mail me off
list.

--
Nick http://www.inet.net.nz/~nickrob