Re: stop-on-solib-events and Cygwin (or MinGW)

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 09:41:15AM -0800, Gordon Prieur wrote:
Its customer driven. In NetBeans, breakpoints persist outside of a gdb session.
The simplified scenario I'm using in my test cases contains 2 files, main.c and
shared.c (shared.c builds into a dll). If I link main.c with the shared library then
when I start debugging main, all breakpoints in shared.c are active.

If I don't link the dll into main but explicitly dlopen it, the breakpoints aren't
active unless I set them after the dlopen.

That sounds like a bug in GDB. We need a test case. Actually, it
sounds like win32/2369. Anyway, there is no reason this should not
work from GDB without your having to do anything special.

Its similar to 2369 but there are several differences. First off, I'm running in mi mode
and I don't really expect it to handle breakpoints in unloaded dlls. In command line, it
asks if it should be left "pending on future shared library load".

But I also tried it from the command line (w/o mi) and it still failed. But that scenario
isn't identical to the one in 2369. In 2369, gdb tells you the bp fails to get set. In my
case (using Cygwin gdb 6.5.50) I get a message "Pending breakpoint \"shared.c:5\"
resolved" but it gets ignored. I reran with a breakpoint in my main program (before
the call to the bp in my dll) and both worked.

I've attached my sources. Since I built from NetBeans projects I'm not including any
Makefiles. Build shared.c into a dll and reference it from app.c. Since I didn't want
to muck with dlopen finding the dll, I hardcoded the path in app.c. You'll need to
change it to point to the location you put libshared.dll.

Will this be part of gbd 6.8?

Yes.

From my point of view, its only fixed when I can
recommend a specific version of Cygwin and/or MinGW to my customers. Even
then, I'll need to support legacy versions without this feature. So even if its
fixed, I think I'll need to maintain my alternate Windows implementation for
a while.

If you don't want to ship your own GDB, or require a new release,
then we can't help you with GDB bugs - if you find a time machine
sitting around somewhere, do let me know :-)

We're considering bundling compilers, gdb, and make with NetBeans. In the mean time,
I have a time machine called patience:-)

Incidentally, my alternate Windows implementation seems to work. I set a bp in dlopen,
call "finish", and reset all failed NetBeans breakpoints . Note that "NetBeans breakpoints"
are different than gdb breakpoints. When I start gdb I attempt to create a gdb breakpoint
for each NetBeans breakpoint. The failed ones are the ones I'll retry after the dlopen. In
most cases, the failure is because the bp is in code not compiled into the app.

Gordon

#include <stdio.h>
#include <dlfcn.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv) {
	void *handle;
	int (*square)(int);
	const char *error;
	handle = dlopen ("C:/Documents and Settings/gordonp/My Documents/NetBeansProjects/DlopenTest_1/shared/dist/Debug/Cygwin-Windows/libshared.dll", RTLD_LAZY);
	if (!handle) {
		fputs (dlerror(), stderr);
		exit(1);
	}