Question about when stdout is flushed in gdb/mi mode

Hi,

   If I do several printf command before a breakpoint in normal
command line gdb, the stdout gets flushed prior to showing the stop
message in gdb. If I do the same thing in mi mode from a tty, I get
the same results. But if I do this from NetBeans (where gdb isn't
running in a tty), the output doesn't get flushed and hence doesn't
get shown before the stop.

   Looking at the gdb options, I don't see anyway of forcing a
flush of stdout. Since stdout isn't a variable and libc is typically
optimized without debug information, neither "fflush(stdout)" nor
"fflush(&__iob[1])" work. Is there anyway to force gdb to flush
stdout when it stops?

Thanks,
Gordon