Re: New MI maintainer

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 09:18:46AM +1300, Nick Roberts wrote:
> I must say I'm surprised by this appointment for several reasons.  When I
> offered to act as maintainer, a year or so ago, although I had Eli's
> support and other's endorsed it off-list, e.g., Alain Magloire, my offer
> was declined.

Yes.  The global maintainers have been discussing the problem of MI
maintenance for at least that long.  I was hoping to leave this out of
the announcement, but the consensus of that group was that you were
not a suitable choice for a GDB maintainer.  Part of the delay was our
hope that the situation would improve.

> The process behind these decisions is not open to me but it doesn't escape my
> attention that Vladimir is now part of CodeSourcery, and that CodeSourcery have
> at least one contract (with Ericsson) to work on Eclipse which uses GDB/MI in
> its DSF plugin.  I ask myself in whose interest this appointment is made.  It's
> certainly not the GNU project or the FSF.

I expect an apology from you for this offensive statement.  I am the
only member of the GDB steering committee working at CodeSourcery, and
the SC is a group of GDB contributors, not some sort of sock puppet.
The decision was made solely based on the interests of GDB in our best
judgement.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery