breakpoints and symbol examination problems

Hi all -

I'm having an issue with reaching breakpoints and examining symbols in
my C++ code via gdb.  I can set breakpoints in my .cpp files and
actually reach these, but if I put breakpoints in included header
files (in template code), my program will run right through the
breakpoints.

Additionally, I can't seem to examine any "stack" variables once in
these template functions.  I can see member variables, global
variables, and function parameters.

Does anyone have any suggestions for why this might happen or things I
might try to get back normal functionality?

Thanks,
  Brian