Can back trace be stopped from always prints "char*" strings ?

Hello,

I have a union being passed to a function. The union is:

typedef union {
  /** This is a pointer to a string name. */
  const char *name_p;
  /** This is the actual 32-bit "raw" integer name. */
  uint32_t    name_u32;
} Objects_Name;

The problem is the bt command ties to read the string pointed to by name_p how-ever this can be any value if the name_u32 field has been set. This has side effects on the embedded target I am using like killing the session.

Is there a way to stop the bt accessing the char* data and just printing the pointer value ?

Regards
Chris