Re: MI non-stop interface details

Vladimir Prus wrote:
Pawel Piech wrote:

Vladimir Prus wrote:
On Tuesday 29 April 2008 22:03:20 Pawel Piech wrote:
Pedro Alves wrote:
I can't see how is it different -- in the frontend's perspective --
of keeping track of what to pass to --thread= *provided GDB doesn't switch
threads automatically*. But then again, I'm no frontend writer.
Using -thread-select makes it easier for the front end to be compatible
with older versions of GDB.
Hmm, I though that only reason that -thread-select is simpler is because
in DSF, specifically, there's no central place where commands are send
and where --thread can be conveniently added. I'm not saying this is good,
or bad, but this is not the case for all frontend. Am I wrong?

- Volodya
In DSF-GDB there _is_ a central place where commands are sent, this is
where the protocol state is adjusted using -thread-select. However, the
--thread option is being added to many but not all commands, so the same
mechanism that adds the -thread-select could not be reused to add
--thread option. Instead each command which accepts --thread that would
need to be adjusted to use the --thread, but only when in non-stop
debugging mode.

This is not actually. The plan is for eery command will accept --thread. Those that don't have any use of it will ignore it. The only command,
at the moment, for which the meaning of --thread is not yet clear, and for
which the frontend might have to have custom decision logic, is --exec-continue.

- Volodya
That's helpful. Unfortunately UI clients that want to have a wide user base still need to worry about old GDB versions which do not support -thread, and that was my first point in this thread. As I've seen on this mailing list there are users out there still on GDB 5.x. I expect it will take several years before support for GDB 6.8 and prior is not so important.

-Pawel