Switching to thread

Whenever GDB detects a new thread in the inferior, it announces it,
and also switches to that new thread.  At least that's what I see in
GDB 6.8 for i686-pc-mingw32.

The announcements can be controlled by "set print thread-events", but
what about the switching to the new thread? can I tell GDB not to
switch to it, but rather stay with the one it was before, or is this
somehow hard-wired in the code?

The specific use case where this is important is interrupting an
inferior that appears to be hung with Ctrl-C: on Windows, this creates
a new thread which runs the SIGINT handler, but I don't normally want
to see this thread; instead, I want to know where is the mainline code
looping.  Of course, "thread 1" is all I need to do, but it's easy to
forget, especially if you did a lot of debugging on something other
than Windows before that ;-)

Am I missing something?