RE: Who uses gdbreplay?

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 14:54 -0400, Marc Khouzam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've tried to find information in the doc about gdbreplay without luck.
> Really quickly, does gdbreplay, as its name suggest, allow to record an
> re-run an application session?

Yes, exactly -- but with rather stringent limits.
In a nutshell, during the replay session, you must give
EXACTLY the same sequence of gdb commands as were given
during the record session.  gdbreplay will prompt you for
the next command, but if you do *anything* different,
it will throw up its hands and quit.

>  Does it allow reverse debugging in some form?

Not yet -- but that's part of what I have in mind!   ;-)

> And since this is part of gdbserver, I assume its functions are for a target system?

Yes -- but you can run gdbserver on a native system, i.e.
"target system" has a rather broad meaning in this context.

> This very morning, I was asked if GDB had any kind of foundation for reverse
> debugging on a target.  Is gdbreplay what I am looking for?

Not yet...   ;-)