Re: GDB Focus Group at the 2008 GCC Summit

Joel> | * Calling python function from the CLI:
Joel> |     Several possible syntaxes:
Joel> |       $(function-name arguments)
Joel> |       $function_name (arguments)
Joel> |     And also, should be treat the arguments as a simple string,
Joel> |     or should we treat each argument as an expression?
Joel> |     We reached a consensus and Tom to send it to the gdb list.

Our consensus was to use the function-like syntax (second example
above) and to parse the arguments as expressions.  This does mean
there is a namespace issue, but we reasoned that we could make all the
standard functions have a "gdb_" prefix or something like that.

I'm about 80% done with implementing this.  I'm using an approach
suggested by Daniel, which is to add a new "convenience function"
type.

Also we agreed that new Python classes should use implicit Python
functions when it makes sense -- that is, use __str__ rather than an
explicit to_string.

Tom