RE: [MI] argv/argc/args

Hi,

just to give input on DSF's use of these commands,
although that doesn't speak for any other frontend.

> 	-exec-next
> 	-exec-next-instruction
> 	-exec-step
> 	-exec-step-instruction
> 	-exec-continue

DSF does use a parameter on some of these but it is only an integer.
So, no problem here.

> The bad ones are:
>
> 	-exec-until

We use a parameter of format file:line
I guess it could be a problem if the file name had a space in it.

> 	-target-download

Not used yet.  But any future use will require to have some special
code if we want to support older GDBs.

> 	-target-select

The parameters here are host:port or serialDevice, which I believe
will not contain spaces.  Should be fine.

> 	-exec-run

No parameters used by DSF.

> 	-exec-return

No parameters used by DSF.

> So, we have 3 commands for which requiring the input to be
> quoted per MI rules
> will cause issues; and fixing those issues will require
> changing other parts of
> GDB to avoid parsing filenames, which is risky at this point.
> It appears, that
> instead of reverting my original patch, we can just path
> those 3 commands
> via CLI directly. Does the plan sound reasonable?

For DSF, it should mean no changes, so I like this solution.

> Ideally, we'd require
> all commands to use MI quoting, but this might break lots of
> things. You
> might recall that our non-stop delivery to you started to
> require quoting for
> -break-condition -- which you did not exactly like :-)

Yes, I remember :-)
Backwards compatibility is always a pain.