Re: Trouble with gdb 6.8 on Irix

Dimitris,

> I should also note that gdb 6.8 doesn't work as it should on my
> platform. I am trying to debug firefox, but gdb just hangs while loading
> the binary. Top shows 100% CPU usage for firefox, 0% for gdb, and it
> stays like that for long. I had better results with gdb 6.3, where gdb
> managed to work but was unable to provide a proper backtrace when the
> crash happened.

I think that GDB on mips-irix has been in dire need of attention.
It's something I have on my list and I hope to get to it by the end
of the year, but my hopes often get overridden by more urgent issues...
The release that AdaCore uses in its product is GDB 5.3 (very old now,
I know).

> remote.c: In function `extended_remote_attach_1':
> remote.c:2859: warning: unsigned int format, pid_t arg (arg 3)
> gmake[2]: *** [remote.o] Error 1
> gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/gdb-6.8/gdb'
>
> But on my system the following is true for pid_t:
>           typedef  long            pid_t;

I didn't see this problem when I tried to build on this platform.
But I was using the CVS HEAD, so either this is already fixed there,
or we're using different compiler versions (mine is based on 4.1).

> Finally a minor issue is that gdb needs gmake to compile. It's not a
> bug, but I thought that since autotools are being used, the Makefiles
> would be portable to all makes. However the native make of Irix aborts
> with a syntax error. Please tell me if you care on this, so that I'll
> send you more details.

Please send in the details. There was some talk about adding GNU make
as a requirement to build GDB, but this may not happen.

--
Joel