Re: Move GDB to C++ ?

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 21:52 +0400, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> On Monday 14 July 2008 20:39:21 Robert Dewar wrote:
> > > The problem is the book named "The C++ Programming Language" went through at
> > > least 3 revisions, presumably with extra help of professional editors. Do we want
> > > to beat that? And why newcomers who already read this book should read the
> > > documentation for our non-standard mechanisms.
> >
> > Well I don't know the code well enough, but what exactly do you mean
> > by non-standard here---not conforming to the C standard???
>
> I mean a high-level design patterns and constructs that closely correspond
> to existing constructs of C++, but yet implemented in a home-grown way,
> and unknown to either C++ programmers or C programmers outside GDB.

I wholeheartedly agree with Vladimir's points. The cost of keeping GDB
source as it is should be weighted in as well.

FWIW, I've been hacking in GDB for the past year and a half, and just a
couple weeks ago I started to understand the cleanup mechanism and use
it in my code.

I also still don't understand how the exceptions mechanism work (I
always trust the TRY_CATCH and EXCEPT macros will do the necessary magic
for me), and somebody even told me that it doesn't work well, in
reality.

> > The GDB code
> > I *have* looked at all seems like fairly standard C to me!
>
> Tom has posted a list of such things in GDB, did you look at that list?

Indeed, that's a very good list.
--
[]'s
Thiago Jung Bauermann