Re: Towards multiprocess GDB

On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 23:41 +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 13:40:08 -0700
> > From: Stan Shebs <stanshebs@earthlink.net>
> >
> > CodeSourcery has a project to add "multiprocess" capability to GDB,
> > and with this message I'd like to kick off some discussion of what
> > that means and how to make it happen.
>
> Please remind me, why was this a desirable capability again?

Not answering for Stan, but from my experience, because
people are asking for it.  Parallel programs eventually
go beyond threads.

For instance I've had inquiries from several router mfgrs,
who want to be able to debug their more advanced router systems
that are running full-scale OS's (such as linux, bsd, and qnx)
on the remote side.  Also from makers of set top boxes of one
sort or another, and multi-core cpu mfgrs (though there we get
into multiple cores as well as multiple processes).

But yes, I'd be interested in hearing what kinds of use cases
CodeSourcery's customers are asking about as well...