Re: Towards multiprocess GDB

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 5:26 PM, Michael Snyder <msnyder@specifix.com> wrote:

> I am a big lover of the incremental approach.
>
> How about this as a first increment?  Could we extend
> what we now have with forks, so that GDB could individually
> control the separate process ids (including threads, if they
> have them), while forestalling dealing with separate symbol
> files because forks can all share the same one?

I would like to add another twist (which I don't see mentioned
elsewhere in this thread yet): cluster computing.

Google (and I am sure many others) has great interest in being
able to debug potentially 1000s of instances of execution of the
same program on multiple hosts. [Naturally, each host will have at
least one gdbserver running.]

This is almost, but not quite the same as what Michael suggests
above.

--
Paul Pluzhnikov

[Not officially speaking for Google.]