Re: Multiprogram teaser

Marc Khouzam wrote:
Multi-program, gives me the impression that the debugged processes will be started by GDB itself. I believe that is what Stan is aiming at, right? This would also fit in Eclipse/DSF, but is not
in our short term planning. But maybe later...

By "multiprogram" I mean that there can be several different executables, each with its own code, symbols, etc. There's no assumption about how GDB interacts with the running targets created from the executables; it could launch, attach, do target remote, etc.

It's orthogonal to "multiprocess" debugging because you could have one executable and be debugging a half-dozen processes created by multiple runs of the executable. You could also have a single process whose address space includes several different executables, each at a different address.

"Multiprocess" is often taken to mean "multiprogram" as well, presumably because the case of one executable and multiple processes is not that interesting in practice.

GUIwise, I expect that each program will want its own window, since most state and context is not going to be shared with other programs. Ideally there would be a program/process list with checkboxes so you can simul-continue a chosen subset of processes. The list may get long - imagine Tom's example of GCC testsuite running under a multiprocess GDB that catches every cc1, gas, ld, etc run - that's dozens of programs and thousands of processes!

Stan